Friday 25 March 2011

ENAMEL EXPERIMENTS

I am still exploring the creative possibles of enamel, my last few posts have been enamel on steel and these spoons are an extension of those experiments. I am busy making lots of these for the Cheltenham Open Studio event in June.
I have also been working on these copper pieces where I have the advantage of being able to
etch through the plate with ferric chloride to make holes and lacy edges. The transfers are of the Natural History Museum.
The copper creates this green tinge as the piece is fired, the more firings the greener it goes. To of set the green in this composition I decided to rivet on a couple of red moths...it just had to be done! The spoons are bolted on so they have a bit of a swing to them.








7 comments:

Joanna said...

Oh WOW, what an interesting effect you have achieved. All 3 of these pieces are stunning.

I'm rather partial to enamelware and I love what you have done here.

Jane Housham said...

Ooh, these are wonderful and captivating. I'd love to know how to do the image transfers -- I will have to investigate.

Lynn Taylor said...

Gorgeous, I love how the rim of the spoon shows through - reminding me of old enamel cups and providing such a glorious visual conclusion.

Jill said...

These are lovely, I love the way the spoons lose their identity through the process.

Gina said...

Absolutely stunning!

menopausalmusing said...

Beautiful work, just beautiful. I particularly like that spoon on the right in the top photo. Love the visual simplicity of it.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you are etching through the plates. I checked this blog out as i saw you made a comment on a bird image that someone put on the signed numbered blog. I notice you are now at the UWE which is where I did my undergrad. say hello to richard and steve. Justin d.